This healthy Apple Crisp is naturally sweetened with maple syrup and topped with a crunchy pecan-oat topping.
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour (gluten free oat or almond flour)
- ½ cup old fashioned rolled oats (gf if desired)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (or coconut brown sugar)
- ½ cup raw chopped pecans
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup cold butter or vegan buttery stick cut into small cubes
For the crisp:
- 5-6 medium Honeycrisp or Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tbl vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease an 8×8 baking pan
- To make the topping: combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecans in large bowl. Add the pieces of butter and mix until mixture becomes wet and crumbly. Place topping in the fridge.
- To make the filling: place apples, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla in a large bowl and toss to combine. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Take 1/3 cup of the topping and mix it into the apple mixture.
- Place apple mixture in prepared plan and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Bake the crisp for 45-55 minutes or until topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Let cool for 10 min on a wire rack.