Summer is the time to enjoy warmer weather, fun outdoor activities and family cookouts! Making healthy delicious pasta salads while saving calories is easy to do! Substituting high-calorie ingredients for healthier ones and adding more vegetables can turn ordinary pasta salad into a healthy low-calorie summertime dish you will love!
SERVINGS: 10 – CALORIES: 281
- 4 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 3/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- 2 1/2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento peppers (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook whole wheat elbow macaroni in boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite (al dente), about 8 minutes. Rinse under cold water and drain.
- Mix low-fat mayonnaise, reduced fat sour cream, vinegar, mustard, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Stir in chopped onions, celery, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, carrots, pimientos and whole wheat macaroni. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight before serving.