- 6 slices apple wood-smoked bacon, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-wide strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1/2 cup chopped drained roasted red bell peppers from jar
- 6 pounds littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Heat large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add bacon and onion.
- Sauté until bacon is crisp around edges and onion starts to brown, stirring, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic. Stir 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes with juice and peppers. Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits.
- Add clams, cover, and boil until clams open, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes (discard any clams that do not open).
- Stir in 1/4 cup parsley.
- Divide among shallow bowls. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons parsley.
Serve with buttered (low-fat and heart-healthy, of course!) wheat linguine and side salad for a unique and tasty meal.