If you are a pasta lover, this pasta dish is sure to please. It is filled with fiber and low in fat. With garlic, basil, parmesan, and kalamata olives, it has a wonderful Mediterranean flavor.
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (14 oz.) artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed and quartered lengthwise
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, quartered lengthwise
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 12 oz. whole-wheat penne
- Salt and ground pepper
- In a large pot, boil water. Once it reaches a full boil, add penne until it is cooked. Drain, but reserve 1 cup of pasta water. Return pasta to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, season with salt and pepper, cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, 3 – 4 minutes. Add wine and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in artichokes and cook until starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add olives and half of the tomatoes; cook until tomatoes start to break down, 1 to 2 minutes. Add pasta to skillet. Stir in remaining tomatoes, oil, cheese, and basil. Thin with reserved pasta water if necessary to coat the pasta. Serve with additional cheese.
Nutritional Value per Serving
Servings per Recipe: 4
Protein: 18 gm / 14% of Calories
Carbohydrates: 77 gm / 62% of Calories
Fiber: 8 gm
Fat: 13 gm / 24% of Calories