Thick and creamy pumpkin soup is simple to make using canned pumpkin puree! This fall favorite with amazing warm flavor uses caramelized onion, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large, sliced yellow onions
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 15-ounce cans pumpkin puree
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Melt butter in large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions to pan and cook, stirring occasionally until caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Add garlic, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger to onions and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Add 1/4 cup of chicken stock and use a wooden spoon to scrape any browned bits from pan’s bottom.
- Add remaining chicken broth, water, pumpkin puree; stir to combine.
- Turn heat to low; simmer soup for 20 minutes.
- Turn stove off; use handheld immersion blender to puree soup. Alternately, use regular blender and puree soup in 2-3 batches.
- Stir heavy cream into soup; serve immediately with warm bread if desired.