- One 15-ounce can (425 grams) chickpeas, also called garbanzo beans
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) fresh lemon juice, about 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup (59 ml) tahini
- Half of a large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt, depending on taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- In food processor bowl, combine tahini and lemon juice. Process for 1 minute.
- Scrape sides and bottom of bowl then turn on and process for 30 seconds.
- Add the olive oil, minced garlic, cumin and the salt to the whipped tahini and lemon juice mixture. Process for 30 seconds, scrape sides and bottom of bowl then process another 30 seconds.
- Open can of chickpeas, drain liquid then rinse well with water.
- Add half of the chickpeas to the food processor. Process for 1 minute. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl, add remaining chickpeas and process for 1 to 2 minutes or until thick and quite smooth.
- Slowly add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water until the consistency is perfect.
**Serve with your favorite veggies, crackers, or pita bread.